IMPORTANT: It is strongly recommended when adjusting these options for steering performance that you adjust only one at a time to ensure you can accurately evaluate the effectiveness of each change.
NOTE: You must have a task started (started a new task or still in your current task) to set steering options.
There are three steering options you can adjust before setting your guideline:
- Sensitivity determines how aggressively your vehicle steers onto the guideline when approaching it from close proximity. Depending on preference and needs, you can adjust sensitivity to between 1 (least aggressive) and 20 (most aggressive). An optimal value enables the vehicle to accurately autosteer along the guideline without rapidly overshooting or responding too slowly (the default is 7).
You may want to adjust sensitivity if it is set to high (vehicle jerks erratically back and forth across the guideline, thus steering corrections are too rapid) or if it is set too low (vehicle weaves excessively along the guideline, thus crosstrack value is too high).
- Attack determines how aggressively your vehicle steers onto the guideline when approaching it from a distance. Depending on preference and needs, you can adjust attack to between 1 (slow line acquisition) and 10 (fast line acquisition). The default is 10.
- Backlash is the slack in a mechanism caused by gaps between parts, such as with a steering wheel. Depending on preference and needs, you can adjust backlash to between 0 and 90 (degrees). Typically, you use a smaller value for newer vehicles and a higher value for older vehicles.
To set steering options (Whirl only):
- While on the map screen, tap the autosteering panel icon (or swipe to the left from the right edge of the screen) to display the autosteering panel (shown below).
- Tap . The Steering Options screen appears (shown below).
- (Optional) Tap on the same row as one of the options to display a pop-up describing the option (pop-up for Sensitivity shown below). Tap OK to close the message.
- For each setting, drag the slider or tap the minus/plus buttons to set the level, then tap CONFIRM.